Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes...

So, I don't know if I mentioned this before... but about two minutes into my Morocco trip (when I was on the bus to the Coventry train station), my iPod kicked the bucket. It started making some clicking noises, paused during my Mountain Goats song, and just died. Jeff let me use his iPhone to listen to music, so it was okay. But lately, since my return to campus, I have had to endure the excruciating hardship of walking to and from the library every single day without my iPod. My mother FedExed me a spankin' new one, but the student post office was closed until yesterday.

I woke up today and found the wonderful slip in my mailbox, telling me that my package had arrived.  To make matters even better (or so I thought at the time), when I stepped outside it was snowing. It was the first snow since I've been here.  It wasn't snowflake snow, just ordinary snow falling... and the best part: the snow on the ground was less than an inch deep. No slipping, no trudging, nothing. "So," I said to myself, "as my reward for my research at the library today, I will allow myself to leave at five to four to go pick up my package with my new iPod, only to return after dropping it off at my room." At five to four, I packed up my things, but left some of my heavier books, and headed towards the student post room. Upon arrival, I was met with a note on the front door stating, "Due to poor weather conditions, the student post room has closed at 3pm. We apologise for any inconvenience." I proceeded to kick the door as hard as I could, make some exasperated noise, and storm off. England, meet me in the next paragraph.


Listen, England, I love you. You know I love you. I love you so much that I want to come back here for grad school. But there was barely half an inch of snow on the ground. How does that impair the post room people's ability to look at my package slip, walk across the room, pick up a package, walk back across the room, and hand me said package? Okay, okay... are you worried about driving? Because I was noticing that people were driving very slowly today... I think your tires can handle less than an inch of snow. C'mon, England! You are Great Britain, aren't you? There is no reason to freak out over a little bit of snow. You'd think after all this time --- 927 AD was it? --- you would have learned how to handle a little crystalline water ice precipitation (thanks, wikipedia).

Tomorrow, I plan to go the student post room before I head to the library. But who knows? If it keeps snowing like this until then, there might be TWO inches of snow on the ground.

Silver lining: everyone is too scared to drive their cars, so there was no line at Tesco.

No comments:

Post a Comment