Saturday, January 16, 2010

God Save the Queen

There's a drinking game here that I thought I should share with you all.

If someone is holding their drink, but not drinking it, then you drop a penny in it and start singing, "God Save the Queen." That someone needs to finish their drink by the time you've finished singing or else the Queen drowns. I'm not positive, but I think people generally sing just the first verse of the song... which doesn't leave much time... which I guess is the point.

An odd form of patriotism, I think.

So you can play at home, here are the lyrics to "God Save the Queen." For us Yanks, we know the tune as "My Country, 'Tis of Thee"

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.


O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save the Queen.


Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!



Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment