Sunday, October 11, 2009

Solid breakfasts and gloomy Sundays, smoky towns and winding roads, green fields and red pillar-boxes

Classes have officially begun, which means I am now officially procrastinating.

My "modules" are as follows:
  • Devolutionary British Fiction
  • Shakespeare and Selected Dramatists of His Time
  • Feminist Perspectives on Literature 
  • Romantic & Victorian Poetry


The title of this blog is from a George Orwell essay, called "England Your England," which I am reading for... well, it can only be for one of those courses, can't it?

This last week brought some fun, some work, and some ego bruising. However, I have learned many valuable lessons, the most painful one being: do not show up to a lecture early and alone (or else you will sit alone while all the third-years file in with their huge groups of friends).

You know that Yael Naim song "New Soul?" The one from the Apple commercial? I keep singing it to myself... it's kind of appropriate:

I'm a new soul
I came to this strange world
Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take.
But since I came here,
Felt the joy and the fear,
Finding myself making every possible mistake... lalalalalalala

New discovery: The British TV show Mock the Week is the best thing in the world.

The sports and societies fairs were held this week and I'm pretty excited about the ones I joined. Warwick Mountains (where are the mountains?) is having a social tonight, which should be interesting.... And next week I will go to the English Lit society social, as well as the Cheese & Chocolate society fondue night.

I'm still learning, but I'm slowly getting adjusted to living here. Pretty soon I'll start eating pizza with a fork and knife.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Sweetcakes! Cheese & Chocolate Society has got to be worthwhile. Writing to you now, I am procrastinating as well . . . ahhhh those Silbs genes. LOVE the photo, btw. XOXO

    ReplyDelete