Friday, October 16, 2009

"Hey English friends...... I have a question."

What happens when your biscuit falls into your tea?

What do you do with all your 1p and 2p coins?

Is there a difference between Scotland Yard and the normal police?

What do Lords and Earls do?

Why aren't people wearing rainboots?

Where is that accent from?

Does everyone dip their chips into creamcheese?

Who's that?
What's that?
Where's that?
Why do people laugh at me when I say that?

That last one is in reference to the fact that English people think it's really funny when I say, "Holy crap!" -- Apparently, it's a pretty American thing to say.


I'm thankful for my friends here who put up with my annoying questions, and I don't know why they haven't killed me yet.

I'm trying to integrate some British words into my vocabulary, but unfortunately a lot of them sound very awkward with an American accent (i.e. "cheers," "wanker," and any other word with an "r" in it). Some words I am unwilling and unable to switch, such as:
  • "Candy" for "sweets"
  • "French fries" for "chips"
  • "Chips" for "crisps"
  • "Soda" for "drinks"
When I was little and my mom and I went to Wendy's, I asked for french fries, not chips. When I was tired and crabby, people would say, "Someone get Hannah some candy." Those words are just too engrained into my mind... I've been saying them basically since I learned to speak.

But I guess that's okay, because if I were to start using English words, I would lose my whole charming-American thing I have going for me.

My flatmate Bethan introduced me to Marmite yesterday, saying, "You either love it, or you hate it."


New discovery: I hate Marmite.

1 comment:

  1. banana
    when your biscut falls in your tea you have make asilly proper pinched face and ask "you recken I could have another cup of tea? This one isn't to my liking." Be as polite as possible.
    It actually works. My freind Tori was at a tea party with me and she dropped her quarter of a sandwhich in her tea!
    miss you tons
    2 days till my b-day
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete