Saturday, September 26, 2009

Silver Train

I'm in York right now... in the hotel room... waiting for my father to pick up the laundry from the lady with one front tooth and a funny accent.

Here's a picture from Cambridge:

I was only there for half a day, but to be honest, that was good enough for me. King's College was nice to see, just because so many important people went to school there and probably stood in the same spots I stood in.

York is so wonderful...

This picture was taken from the tower in York Minster... I climbed 275 steps to get up and the picture isn't even that great, but it was still worth it. There were three other people hiking up those stairs and we had some fun joking around with them about -- you know -- dying -- and it turned out that this one woman was from California! And she just got here and is studying business in some school around York.

Wandered into an empty church yesterday where there was a fake dead baby on the ground...?? That might have been the creepiest place I have ever been in.  And I've been to some creepy places.

My favorite parts of the trip so far have been the train rides. I listen to music and watch all the greenery pass by. There are so many cute little red brick towns and sheep and horses and cows...

Sigur Ros is great train music...but I also listened to a lot of Paul Simon, Rogue Wave, and Brett Dennen...


I need to figure out how to put songs in my blog without relying on shitty youtube videos. Any ideas?

Some culture shock issues I'm working on:
  • Walking
    • Seriously, people, just choose a side! If you drive on the left, why don't you walk on the left? I mean, it's fine, I just do the awkward dance a little more frequently here than anywhere else, but it can be dangerous! I saw a bike accident the other day where the two cyclists did an awkward dance ON THEIR BIKES and then THEY CRASHED! It was so sad.
  • Grass
    • Please, England... let me walk on the grass. I know, you worked really hard making it look pretty, but grass is meant to be walked on and played on and sat on. I'm talking mostly to you, Cambridge.
I feel like I should take some sort of etiquette class like I saw in those old movies when I was little.

Off to do more sightseeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment