Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brussels: A Two-Part Tale

All their personal belongings have intertwined.... a.k.a. part one

I hopped on my train to Brussels on Thursday night, which ended up being delayed half an hour because *I think* the train before us got stuck under the ocean for a bit? But thankfully, we exited the ocean safely and quickly.

It was really nice to see Leah again. And the house she lives in is fantastic, minus the lack of heating which was compensated for by some snuggle time and lots of blankets. The first night we ate dinner, drank maybe too much, went to a karaoke bar.... it was really really fun.... I sang "Mr. Big Stuff" and...yeah. Enough said.

The next day, we had a lazy morning... drank some coffee, ate some cereal, etc. Then we went downtown with Leah's super sweet roommate, Jess. We went to the Magritte Museum, which was really interesting. I had kind of the same feeling I get when I go to any art museum, which is, "Well, it's pretty... I just don't understand what they're saying." I kind of got Magritte though. Something about defamiliarization and disassociating words with images... I dunno. I'm not an art history person. I got some nice postcards though, including the "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" one... it was a must-have.

We walked around some more, went to a bar that has two thousand different kinds of beer, and then fell asleep early, as we had to wake up at 5:30am the next day....

I got soul but I'm not a soldier... a.k.a. part two


Leah is on a CIEE program, meaning she and all the other participants from across the states get to go on occasional excursions. Luckily, I was allowed to accompany them on their trip to.... The Battle of the Bulge!

The bus left Brussels at 7:30am, so I fell asleep pretty much right as I sat down, with my head against the window and one of Leah's earbuds in my ear. I woke up to the sound of bombs, screaming, and gunfire in my right ear and Joni Mitchell in my left. Turned out they were playing an episode of Band of Brothers on the coach bus to get us in the mood.

It was a long, war-themed day, complete with cemeteries, army bases, and foxholes. It was also the first time I had been around a large group of Americans in about five months. Reverse culture shock? I think so. But they fed us well and it was nice to sit and eat with Leah, Jess, and their French friend who, when unable to remember the word "robe" said, "you know, like Big Lebowski?"

I was sad to leave Leah, but I think we're going to travel somewhere exciting over spring break.

And now I'm back in England, on campus, on my computer, with my coffee. I had a crap day yesterday but tea with the flatmates and drinks with the Shakespeare folks made it all better.

I'm going to go do some research now so I can sound smart in my first rehearsal today. Last night, I actually got my friends admit that I am always always right.

I like it here.

1 comment:

  1. hello my little english banana-
    i hope you had fun in brussels.
    i know i certainly loved having you here
    and i've missed having you as my snuggle buddy.
    i'm down to travel somewhere fun soon too-
    but more thoughts on that and a
    funny story for you later...
    hope 'all's well that ends well'
    xoxo
    -L

    ReplyDelete