Tuesday, February 9, 2010

For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool...

"The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. Ah wi jist sitting thair, focusing oan the telly"

Who knew I would learn how to read another dialect while I was studying here? That's the first line from Trainspotting, by the way. I just started it and, minus the freaky cover, I'm liking it a lot. In my Devolutionary British Fiction class, we read a lot of novels written in different dialects... just read one written in Glaswegian, which was easier to understand than these junkies, but I guess my professor was just easing us into it.

Tonight, I walked into my kitchen, starving, and tried to cook something in the microwave.... which wouldn't turn on. I then looked to the television, which would also not turn on. Everything, minus the lights and stove was dead. I kicked some chairs and tore down the fliers on our billboard which were covering up the number I needed to call.... you know how I get when I'm hungry. I saw that I needed to call the security desk, since it was past 8pm. After ringing for about five minutes (what if there was a serious emergency??) a man picked up.


Security Man: Hello, Warwick Security.
Me: Hi, this is the number I'm supposed to call for kitchen power outages, right?
Security Man: It appears so.
Me: Um.. right. Well my kitchen has a power outage. Not the lights, just the TV, microwave, toaster--
Security Man: So anything connected to a socket?
Me: Yes. I live in flat --
Security Man: Are you American or Canadian?

THIS. THIS IS WHY WHEN MY FRIENDS ASK ME TO CALL SOME KIND OF SERVICE, I SAY NO. Why is my nationality in any way related to my kitchen not working properly? Shouldn't you get me off the phone asap so you can call someone to fix my kitchen before my food spoils?

Me: I'm American.
Security Man: It's obvious.
Me: Right. Well I live in flat tw--
Security Man: It's a lovely accent.
Me: Thank you. Will someone come to fix my kitchen soon?
Security Man: Well, you're going to need to tell me what flat you're in first! Hahaha!

Not funny, Security Man. Not funny. I was very hungry and on the verge of a meltdown. You did not help me. You are a bad Security Man. Terrible, some might say. The worst.

Other than that unfortunate incident, life is pretty damn good. Too much fun is being had here... I went out Friday night with some friends to see a stage rendition of The Triplets of Belleville and then went out dancing at this event at the union. At the end of the night, the DJ said, "Alright, well we need to close up now, so we thought we'd play a song we can all sing a long to." They then proceeded to play "Hey Jude," and everyone got in one big hugging circle. I took a little video. Sorry about the shaking...

1 comment:

  1. BAD security man! Should I send you a bag of Costco trail mix?

    ReplyDelete