Saturday, December 5, 2009

There's a lot of turkey in this turkey...

So, Thanksgiving came and I made my first Thanksgiving meal. I had help from my friend Dani (she's an English major from Wisconsin, too), and we did pretty well overall. There was no canned pumpkin in the store, so we had to make pumpkin pie out of real pumpkins. It ended up tasting like cinnamon egg pie. Not so good. However, the turkey went well, which was surprising seeing as our oven is prone to only cooking the top half of things. Dani made great mashed potatoes and we bought some pretty good stuffing mix, where you only had to add boiling water and stick it in the oven.




Yummy Turkey

Yummy Dinner

My English flatmates seemed to like the food. They kept saying, "I feel like I'm on Friends!" Two of them got stomach aches and passed out, which I consider to be an indication of a successful Thanksgiving meal. Too bad we couldn't play football afterward (American football).

Two of my flatmates were bickering at the time, which made everything feel a little more like Thanksgiving.

It's getting to the point in my study abroad experience where I stop thinking about the differences between English people and Americans (or Californians), and start thinking about how we're similar. Small town Americans are really not all that different from small town English people. There are English words I can't say because it sounds weird with my accent, and there are American words English people can't say because it sounds weird (some of these include "sweatpants," "dang," and "sidewalk").  They hate Sarah Palin, I hate Sarah Palin. Actually, they think she's kind of funny... and I see how she would be hilarious to people who didn't have to worry about her ruining their country.

All's Well That Ends Well is taking up my entire life.... I actually dream in Elizabethan English now. How sad.

New discovery: Lauren from the Catherine Tate Show. Youtube it.

1 comment: