Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Oh yeah and there's the Eiffel Tower....

I left Paris yesterday and got to Lodeve later than expected.

Hannah's Tips for Missing Your Train Out of Paris:
1) Don't have any knowledge of the French language. I highly advise this. The less you know, the harder it is for you to understand the signs in Gare du Nord, which are only in French. Plus, there are pretty much zero cognates when it comes to transportation lingo.
2) Don't be on time. Also very important. It doesn't matter why you're late ... maybe because you slept in, you couldn't catch a cab, or in my case, you couldn't understand how to buy a metro ticket because the damn machine was only in French.
3) Go to the wrong train station. Gare du Nord and Gare Lyon should be interchangeable in your mind.

But I made it, and that's really all that matters right?

Paris was AH-mazing. I got there on Friday afternoon and Karina and I had a picnic in the park by the Eiffel Tower, which consisted of wine, baguette, three kinds of cheese, pate, flan and some blueberry tart thing.  Other yummy eats included: hot chocolate with a croissant for dipping, mussels, chicken plate with fries at 5am, crepe with goat cheese, ham and mushroom at 1am, falafel from the Jewish quarter.... yeah. Life is good. We went to the Centre Pompidou for some culture and met up with some of her friends at night for some fun.

Now I'm in Lodeve with my cousins who are feeding me even MORE delicious food. I go back to Paris on Thursday afternoon and then I'll leave for England on Saturday.


New discovery: it's possible to be homesick for somewhere that you didn't even consider your home until you left it.


More thoughts, stories, pictures, etc. to come once I get back to the island....

No comments:

Post a Comment